laina down under

lessons from the university of melbourne and the school of hard knocks.

Friday 2 March 2007

have a happy sexy kwanzaa

the following is a brief excerpt of one of the best conversations i've ever creepily eavesdropped on whilst riding public transport:

(the scene: heading south down swanston st. on the 67 tram. two students, one male & one female, are discussing various public holidays and the probability of actually having a day off from uni for some obscure holiday).

dude: "yeah, we don't even get labour day off this year."
chick: "i wish christmas wasn't during the summer. we would definitely have time off for christmas."
d: "what about that chinese holiday. what's it called...kwanzaa?"
c: "um...do you mean chinese new year?"
d: "no, no, there's definitely some, like, chinese holiday called kwanzaa."
c: "i have no idea what you're talking about."

(at this point, i see no other choice but to interject).

me: "actually, kwanzaa is an african-american holiday."
c: "ha! thank you."
me: "yeah, and it's around christmastime, so you wouldn't get a day off anyway."

the dude silently glowered, no doubt cursing me for hating on a playa's game. i'd also like to add that the chick was asian, so he looked doubly foolish. i considered continuing on into a tutorial about the seven principles of kwanzaa, just to twist the knife, but i didn't want to be too cruel. plus, it would have been more effective had i been wearing my dashiki.

this incident has convinced me that it is imperative that lindsay and i start our own auskwanzaa celebration next year. better enrol in that african drumming club...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger kris said...

Kindred spirits, we are. I wouldn't have been able to bite my tongue, either.

On the other hand, I would have had to Wikipedia the seven principles before being able to spout them, so clearly I falter there.

Many thanks for stopping by my site. I'm happy to find you!!!

1:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, of course, will attend your auskwanzaa celebration to lend some credibility to the event.

8:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home